My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Breakfast of Champions

There has to be a pretty good reason to get me dragged out of bed early in the morning. And by early, I mean 7am. But the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra definitely counts as one of these.

This morning was their last performance at Deluxe for the year and it was spectacular. You've got a chance to check it out yourself - because a) Jacqui Brown was there, filming for Campbell Live (screening next week apparently) and also b) they have a gig next Friday at the San Francisco Bathhouse.

In the meantime, feast your eyes on this. The quality is a bit crappy at the start, but bear with me, as its a cover from one of my favourite groups and heavily features Ebony's boyfriend, Age Pryor. Ok, technically, not her boyfriend at all, but - you know - DETAILS DETAILS.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger J E G said...

Very cool. I love a good uke remix. you should check out the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, they do a remix of miss dy-na-mi-tee! its the dog's!

Sat Dec 09, 03:11:00 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

Did they do the Deliverance one? Huh? Huh?

Sat Dec 09, 04:23:00 AM  
Blogger Bel said...

Lou, you goober, Deliverance is all about the bangos, not ukuleles! Get your obscure under-sized guitar variations right, sheesh.
My other favourite covers were 'Ring My Bell' and 'Anchor Me'. There are a few other clips on YouTube with more of their stuff...

And great to hear that there is similar in the UK! No doubt that is where they pinched the idea from, damn cheeky kiwis.
Maybe you guys could brush up your skills and form an ex-pat branch that links btwn the two! :D

I would like to request 'Tainted Love' as your first song please...

Sat Dec 09, 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Funny you should say that Bel, I was considering buying myself a Ukelele as my very own Xmas present - if you look on my Bebo page (umm, yeah I'm cool)under London Photos you will see where I shall buy my Uke from - the shop entitled "The Duke of Uke" in Shoreditch.

Also, the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain is playing on my Birthday over here, so I will introduce Lou to the ways of the Uke then. And then she can sort out her small stringed instruments!

Sat Dec 09, 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

Parfait.
Here you go then! Jane could on board as an impartial observer to let me know how you progress..! :D
You'll be playing at venues with names as stupid as the "San Francisco Bathhouse" before ya know it!!

Sun Dec 10, 09:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home