My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Friday, September 22, 2006

entertain me

Sean let me take him to the opera last night. Its a good sign for a budding friendship when you curse at the dimming lights for interrupting your flow of conversation! We had just got stuck into discussing his latest photography project and I was tentatively sharing for the first time my ideas for....well, a kind of art project-thing. And then APPARENTLY it got all important for the show to start.

Ok well this was going to be a much longer, more rambling post, covering how i got to catch some of the Polyfest rehearsals in the afternoon and how I scrambled in to Happy and just caught the "um we've played our whole set but if you really want another song we could play one of them again?!" of my flatmate Simon's gig, but just had a lovely early morning catch up with Cam so no time!

Cam is enthralled by a novel that sounds dreadful. I love hearing his enthusiasm tho. He said "oh yes you'd hate it" and compared it to Franzen's The Corrections which I'll admit is well written but still a total suckfest. I'm currently back in the midst of Girlfriend In A Coma by Douglas Coupland. This book has such a impact on me when i first read it and I'm finding it just as rewarding now. It's so different to his other stuff, nothing of that Bret Easton Ellisish stuff going on - its very much in the world of the characters - and then that world just spins out of control. If you didn't dig where the narrative of The Lovely Bones wound up journeying too, I don't know if I'd recommend it, as this book requires an open mind, or at least appeals to those with a tinge of sci-fi. It's so beautifully written, great imagery. I read a section to Cam the other night and as I said it aloud there was even more richness than I'd noticed the first (second) time round:

"Karen lit a Number 7 cigarette, her bony cheeks inflamed with blood, pink in the Bic lighter's heat, like a doll in a burning doll house"

Just a snippet - I'll add more later when I'm in a less precarious position to be arrving late for work. Am currently still in bed, unwashed and unfed. Quelle horreur!

...

Ok here it is ...enjoy:


...we rose up again, up the mountain on a bobbing chairlift that stalled halfway up the slope. And it was there that the arc lights also blinked, then skittered, then blackened. In the pitch dark, Karen and I sat bouncing, stuck, suspended above raw nature, our faces blue jeans-blue from the Moon. Karen lit a Number 7 cigarette, her bony cheeks inflamed with blood, burning pink in the Bic lighter's heat, like a doll in a burning doll house. My arm draped over her shoulder; we both felt safe, as if we were a complete solar system unto ourselves, dangling in the sky, warm heated planets inside a universe of stars.


That's from chapter two 'Every idea in the world is wrong'.
Have just finished chapter 10 'One day you will speak with yourself' and am forcing myself to slow down and not plough through it!!

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Hurry up and finish Girlfriend in a Coma so I can steal it back!

Sat Sep 23, 02:19:00 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

Hmmm perhaps you should get Cam to recommend some books for me? (travelling has turned me back into a reader - read more in 5 weeks than I had in the previous 5 months).

Anyhoo, whilst I will keep away from the book myself having not liked where The Lovely Bones went (though loving the whole rest of the novel) and having had to read your snippet twice to be able to make any sense of it, I have the random comment to make that I have a vague recollection that during all the LotR hyseteria where our magazines and newspapers were filled with quotes from the LotR actors, I think Mr Frodo himself expressed the desire to attain the cinematic rights to Girlfriend in a Coma. I'm not sure why that popped in my head.

That's all.

Fri Sep 29, 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger Bel said...

ooh thank you for that tasty tidbit! may go do some googling right :D ...will see how things are progressing with Time Traveller's Wife too - don't know which way the rights went after Brad & Jen split, but now that Gus Van Sant is signed to direct surely that will be making some casting decisions soon? will be v interesting that one...

Try the book mentioned in the post... then you can see if you're Team Hockly or not :P

Sat Sep 30, 01:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4wciO4 Very good blog! Thanks!

Sat Nov 03, 02:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fkn6ON Hello all!

Sat Nov 03, 06:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Sat Nov 03, 07:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Sat Nov 03, 08:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Sat Nov 03, 09:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Sat Nov 03, 11:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Sun Nov 04, 05:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Sun Nov 04, 06:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Sun Nov 04, 07:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IGbCjM write more, thanks.

Sun Nov 04, 07:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ZgSTbu write more, thanks.

Mon Nov 05, 05:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Mon Nov 05, 04:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Mon Nov 05, 04:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home