My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Friday, October 13, 2006

Straight to The Pool Room

I was the sticking point once, in a lecturer's rant on modern technology. He was talking about the transient nature of email, online chatting and text messages.
How all these forms of communication are lost into the ether, as opposed to the permanence of a preserved illuminated manuscript or carved stone tablet. But because I was the kind of student who did, I put up my hand.
And let him know that I always made an effort to write down and record any special, or memorable, or significant for whatever small random reason, or just plain damn funny texts I got.

This is a clearing out of the ones saved to The Pool Room folder from my old phone.

Some are talismans, and some are sad reminders. Some make me shake my head and smile in bemusement, some make me actually laugh out loud. Some are the only evidence of a person ever being in my life, some are a reference point of an ever-changing relationship. Some are a fragment, some just seem like it now.

They cover the last nine or so months of my life in a skewed kind of way. Perhaps it's a better representation than photographs or patchy diary entries or the memories retold into set-routine stories. I've cut out the senders and their number. You can fill in the blanks. Maybe you are the blanks.





Message:
P2of2: as Prism. Altho
that name sucks i
reckon, some kind of
hippy gaylord cross
breeding? So yeah, im
keeping it heathen this
morning. And missing
you- cam
Date: 22 Jan 2006
Time: 08.15.12


Message:
Well actually no, it
doesn't at all.
Date: 22 Jan 2006
Time: 11.09.18


Message:
Oh, that's OK. It works 4
me. Lucky. Just had to
check my diary. I might
of had a early dinner
date or jazzercise class
to take
Date: 26 Jan 2006
Time: 23.17.07


Message:
P1of1:I am reading
bukowski and he is
deranged yet living the
great writing life. It will
be a good life, i feel, to
write and grow old. It
will be good to hav
Date: 8 Feb 2006
Time: 11.28.13


Message:
P1of2:e you doing the
same. And of course, I
love you.
Date: 8 Feb 2006
Time: 11.28.19


Message:
We had th best time
seein you again, we will
def hav to make a trip
to welly soon. but u no
how hard it is 4 me 2
spend and not save! i'l
try to make it soon!
Date: 16 Apr 2006
Time: 21.31.28


Message:
Give our love to mela
and have th safest
journey back home, and
don't worry bout work,
if it sucks then do whats
best 4 u-if my mum can
do it u def can!
Date: 16 Apr 2006
Time: 21.33.08


Message:
I bet you made barnes day
and u gave him all ur
love. hope it went wel
wit brown and that ur
happy wit how it went.
man, how can u c so
many people in 6 days!
Date: 16 Apr 2006
Time: 21.37.08


Message:
it the eye of the tiger its
the thrill of the fight
rising up to the
challenge of our rival! : )
Date: 24 Apr 2006
Time: 16.51.07


Message:
Mauve and sky blue
checquers of course. To
set off my eyes. I'll be
the belle of the links
Date: 13 May 2006
Time: 22.10.48


Message:
Well there can't be 2 of
us. Fine,fine, I'll be the
beau(scuffs ground and
mutters under his
breath). Or we could
duel. How's your swing?
Date: 13 May 2006
Time: 22.26.40


Message:
My secret weapon! I was
planning to out frill out!
Even now I doubt even
the inimitable 'Meataxe'
can prepare you for the
frillification you have
in store
Date: 13 May 2006
Time: 22.41.35


Message:
Sweet merciful crap! I
hadn't considered the
hat! Maybe there's
another way we can
settle this?
Date: 13 May 2006
Time: 22.53.18


Message:
Golf it is. Clubs at dawn,
Date: 13 May 2006
Time: 23.00.50


Message:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEL
HOPE U R BLIND DRUNK
IN SOME SEEDY MALE
STRIP JOINT! IF MY
PHONE WASNT SO OLD
ID SEND PICS OF ME
POLE DANCING. HOPE
UV HAD A GOOD ONE
Date: 29 Jun 2006
Time: 22.09.23


Message:
Ha! Colin-a guiding light
in this seething pit of
hedonism.c u
soon,lady!xx
Date: 2 July 2006
Time: 02.30.05


Message:
He likes u and is not
afraid to show it. Now
deal with it, go out with
him again, and then
decide whether to go
forward or go cats. Says
Ms
IncapableOfOwnAdvice
Date: 5 July 2006
Time: 18.17.54


Message:
NEVER CHEAP BUT
ALWAYS A GOOD TIME U
R
Date: 4 Aug 2006
Time:16.32.27


Message:
Thanks bella you are
one choice lady. Peter x
Date: 5 Aug 2006
Time: 01.15.36


Message:
HOPE YOU GOT BACK SAFE
+ SOUND. IT WAS
LOVELY 2 C U AGAIN + I
LOVE UR POEM ABOUT
SAMBO TAKE CARE BEL
Date: 12 Aug 2006
Time:10.33.28


Message:
Thus keeping your life
is perfect balance. Who
would've thought Ben
would have been the
guardian of great
wisdom.
Date: 16 Aug 2006
Time: 20.03.57


Message:
Ps. Honestly. I would he
anywhere. But i love
you.xxx honest like
Date: 18 Aug 2006
Time: 22.13.13


Message:
Hope you are having a
good night my dear and
that you don't have to
contend with mr.
Or, if you do bump into
him, it's repeatedly, in
the good way.
Date: 18 Aug 2006
Time: 22.16.34


Message:
Message confirmed and
feelings noted as
mutual. Nothing more to
add.
Date: 12 Sept 2006
Time: 14.45.26


Message:
Such talent! To scuttle
and sip, a wellington
talent we all strive for!
Im back tuesday if you
can fit me into your
week?
Date: 16 Sept 2006
Time: 11.53.26


Message:
Oh thats stink. I do love
a good curtain up walk
out. i live for it in fact .
Anyways back in welly
land now. My cat is
staring at me knowingly.
x
Date: 22 Sept 2006
Time: 00.19.17





PS: Yes have been reunited with darling former-full time cell phone. It appears to have been off hiding in some kind of huff at being replaced by thrilling clamshell model with two screens that I flick open and closed incessantly and use to display a series of photos of myself. I found it in my bed. A distant corner of my bed, but still. Shame.
Am yet to find time to get the directory transferred over though, so to the person who texted at 6am saying "Dont you think more people should be awake right now?" well, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ...whoever you are... !! If I run out of energy before the Tropical Downbeat Orchestra make it onto the stage tonight, you're going get an irate phone call using the very last of my steam where I ask your name, including your middle ones, so I can give you a proper dressing down.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

My favourite:

Sweet merciful crap! I hadn't considered the hat! Maybe there's
another way we can settle this?

Fri Oct 13, 02:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pffft. i'd been awake for an hour by the time i sent that txt. more people should have been awake.

Thu Oct 19, 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm have identified one as being definitely myself, and then another three maybes - am suspicious you might have other friends who say the same things I do? Or otherwise that I have memory problems? Not sure which would be worse... being replacable, or being entirely rememberable but not remembering it myself...

Sat Oct 21, 04:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home