My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Saturday, September 23, 2006

the poison of parachute pants

When being interviewed recently (for a blog no less), actor -and rock star, apparently- Jared Leto reacted to a question about promoting his new album and whether he'd be blogging while touring in a very strong way. I'll quote direct:


JARED: No, I think that blogging should die a sudden death.

G4: Why?

JARED: It's just ridiculous. It's like a playground for four-year-olds. People say and do things in the world of blogs that they would never do in real life, and I think it's a false experience. You know, it's, like, eating too much candy.


First of all, I love the imagery that he has managed to cram into those few sentences. It seems like such a hysterical honest reaction that I'm not questioning in anyway that this is a literal transcript. I am also very tempted to start up a celeb hot goss blog called Too Much Candy. Please start emailling me any paparazzi shots of Jared Leto picking boogers out of his nose you have taken sneakily on your cellphone. Apparently I won't have to worry about the man himself logging on...


G4: So you don't read alot of the celebrity gossip blogs, I take it?

JARED: Well, you know, one of the things along those lines that bothers me about when people start citing blogs as news sources is that when people are writing on these blogs, they feel like they don't feel they need to do any research or back up their opinions with facts or anything, you know what I mean?

G4: Why is there this inherent lack of responsibility when it comes to blogging as journalism?

JARED: I couldn't tell you. Times have changed. It used to be, to be a writer you had to have experience and talent, and learn a craft. Now anybody with an opinion, which is anyone and everyone, feels that it's worthy. Technology is allowing people to have access to things where before it required very great skill. So there will be some interesting developments from that, and also some things that are pretty worthless. Pretty soon anybody with a cell phone is going to be able to be a news reporter. The blog is yesterday's parachute pants. It's here now but it's gone tomorrow.


I considered going on a rant about how you couldn't really moniter standards of research and capability to any greater extent when the world of journalism was limited to print, and that internet access means that people can do background checks of their own if they bother to take two googling seconds.
That this line here "Technology is allowing people to have access to things where before it required very great skill" vexes me on several levels because he seems to be seeing this as such a negative thing and i disagree that 'skill' was the barrier previously.
That he does have a point about the world's obsession with celebrity growing in the last few decades in parallel to technology such as the internet, but the world of entertainment he chooses to work in being dependant on that.
That a complete rejection of that aspect of technology is not really the best way to deal with times that are moving so quickly, sunshine.

But then, blogger that I am, four-year-old in the playground, did a wee bit of research myself. It seems that Jared Leto's comment "The blog is yesterday's parachute pants" (yes, my absolute favourite- GOLD!) would be based on him having a very good understanding of what they look like. He was in attendance for Marc Jacob's show for NY Fashion Week, which according to the Go Fug Yourself girls (there in person reporting for New York Magazine ), which featured strolling down the runway "billowing genie pants" and the designer himself in a pair of "what looked like capris crossed with Hammer pants".

See here for their report on the show (complete with a pic of eyelinered-to-the-max Leto and accounts his pre-show antics)
And here for thumbnails/more of the clothes on the runway (some of the not-pants look gorgeous!! I love the necklines & the asymmeterical ruffles)

I think I'll let La Leto have the final word on this however - here's more from the interview [source]

G4: What does the title [of his band's upcoming album], A Beautiful Lie, refer to?

JARED: That's the contradiction of life, basically, the contradictions of humanity...of what it is to be human.

G4: In terms of?

JARED: Every rose has his thorn.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

...here's my comment...

Sun Sep 24, 03:27:00 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I resent being called a n00b after helping you fix your archive function.

But in this case, it's probably warranted.

here's my *ACTUAL* comment

Sun Sep 24, 05:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why have I not checked out your website, what kind of friend am I! Wicked designs Bel!

Wed Sep 27, 04:44:00 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

Oh my fucking god - if it wasn't for the hilarity of the parachute pants quote, I would have to almost send Jared spiralling back to zero points for this [he started with LOTS due to me being one of the My So Called Life lovers but has slowly descended the scale ever since, but with the exception of the rapid points-gain caused by Fight Club].

Anyhoo, I agree with both your comments Bel, and your comments Sam.

Overall Jared's comments read to me like he is still one of those folks holding onto traditional ideals of artist as highly trained craftsperson, rather than as ordinary person who has something to say and employs some mode or rather to say it. Which is interesting with him being one of those angsty Hollywood types who would resent being seen as mainstream or Hollywood. I wonder whether he has traditional acting training? (but not being much of a researcher I can't be arsed trying to find out)

I also think that if the reporter he said this stuff to was actually onto-it and intelligent and not afraid of pissing off the celebrity he may have come to realise he didn't believe what he was saying - I am sure if questioned he would admit that actually journalism is at new lows currently and really we can't believe anything at face value and that really isn't it better for blogs to at least be overtly opinion rather than opinion-masquerading-as-fact.

Am left wanting to know what a n00b is.

Fri Sep 29, 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger Bel said...

yeah, I hear ya Lou- dude needs to roll with it. And I think the interviewer did make a comment in his intro about the weird double standard, i.e his band makes the most of being on myspace and tapping into their market thru that kind of technology and stuff.
However consession must be made and yes, Requiem for a Dream is another points-adding accomplishment of his. That may just be the end of the list tho....??

and MEL! yay thanks for the comment :) (says Annabel/Abigail?) this blog bit is not my designs as such but a blogspot template that i have been tweaking with my beginner's HTML...however the main Tuesday's Child site i DID create! :D mostly in Paint & Notepad too...yah i am old skool...i.e. crappy hehhee

Sat Sep 30, 01:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home