My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Monday, January 15, 2007

I'm a rocker. I rock out. NO - REALLY!!

Okay, well - I did this one time.

And while wasting time at work today (my boss is still away so I'm yo-yoing between terrifying new levels of responsibility and the freedom to SLACK like never before) I found the blog of a friend of a friend, Chambers, making this request about the Shihad/Datsuns concert:
Someone, please go to this and video it... i don't care if its on your cellphone, discrete pin-camera mounted glasses, handycam strapped to helmet, over the shoulder, hdcam, broadcast, film, digital film camera... make it happen please.
And funnily enough, I did go, and I do have video footage. Of Shihad and the Datsuns playing together. As in - simultaneously, like some kinda mutated Kiwi mega rockin rock band. Definitely quite the alternative to the regime of europop Chambers has apparently been suffering under lately.

Assuming my first attempt at uploading works, you can click here to watch the rather crappy quality video. I believe the track is a cover of "I See Red" as that was what was on the set list, but since the recording is off Option A) cellphone, and not Option E) HD cam, its kinda hard to tell.

Mikey (from Shaky Hands) took it on his phone - which is the same as mine, and of which I was unaware had video-taking properties until this night. Shameola. I will save you from watching the video where he demonstrates this and which features me actually saying "Oh my god. Oh my god. I'm amazed" but cuts before I launch into full blown "Dude, this shit is from the FUTURE. What else does it do? Does it have LASERS?".

As you can see in the video, Mel & I are not down amongst the 2000 other people (plebs!) but rather were hanging out backstage, thanks to the Shaky Hands boys. We are peeping out from that door, like little mice, as we'd just stormed onstage with the rest of them, chucking stuff round and letting off party poppers as part of a 'last show of the tour' prank. But we then thought twice about joining in on the stage dives and so forth - on account of our classic mini-skirted groupie attire.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bel, cheers for the vid - couldn't get the sound to work though.. Must be my silly old PC!

Tue Jan 16, 12:49:00 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

J.

Tue Jan 16, 05:35:00 AM  
Blogger Bel said...

All of youse having trouble with the audio (or praps just so J their ears aren't working) I suggest you put on a Datsuns CD, and a Shihad/Pacifier one at the same time, and then scream "I SEE RED I SEE RED I SEE RED!!" very loudly yourself over top of it all.

I was so boozed by this stage from sneaking whiskey sourced from the Datsuns' rider its all a bit of a blur anyway... ;)

Wed Jan 17, 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So totally off-top but...

You know how there are light blue denim jeans? and that you can also get light blue denim jackets?

WELL

How about not only wearing them as a set - but then having your PARTNER wear the exact same outfit and then walk down the main streets of Auckland holding hands in matching light blue denim outfits.

The horror of seeing two people actually doing this today was only slightly better than seeing an old man wearing bulky jacket and stubbies with massively skinny white legs just two streets before.

WHY!!

Wed Jan 17, 07:44:00 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

Well, thank you Lil Miss Its Not About Mandy Moore So I Don't Care.

:P

Personally, I'm more offended by the differing shades combo, eg. dark jeans with an acid wash jacket or whatever. I mean, do people really want to wear denium that badly?! Sheesh.

And besides, we both know that Wellington beats Auckland HANDS DOWN for weirdos on the street...!!

Wed Jan 17, 08:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its just that I don't really know the Datsuns. And I know Shihad but the earlier stuff - one of the later albums had like three singles and I knew them but still got confused they were so similar.

Although I liked it when you said you were hiding backstage drinking their alcohol. Doesn't matter who's playing then.

Wed Jan 17, 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

Honey, I wouldn't have been able to name one of their albums beforehand either!!
Mel & I were sitting up in the gallery VIP area when their set started (having said to the security guy "do our stamps get us up here?" *bats eyelashes* "Uh, no. But go right ahead...") but soon we were like "No idea what this song is...BUT IT ROCKS!!" and scuttled down there.

Then we were in the midst of the sweaty, lanky-haired, drainpipe wearing bogans, going "Devil horns, devil horns - is that thumb & little finger?? No no, thats the surfing symbol! Hang on, try again..." and generally just having an ironically great time!

And yet by the end of the night, me & Dolf were all hugs-hugs and he was going, "Sure, next time we're in town, let Phil know, we'll put you on the door... and if you ever need someone to babysit or whatever, gimme a call. And here's a wad of cash... go buy yourself some money".

What can I say? I'm a rocker. I rock out.

Thu Jan 18, 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Richard D. Bartlett said...

The sound works terrif' for me, it's like I'm Really There (and Really Drunk), though next time you might want to upload it to YT and they'll make it all über-compatible... 'nd shit.

P.S. And now you're quoting DieselSweeties!? Is there a quicker route to my heart? I doubt it.

Fri Jan 19, 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Bel said...

Am totally not uber enough for such shenannigans.

I can't even make umlauts appear!

*hides face in shame*

Fri Jan 19, 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Richard D. Bartlett said...

ü

Thu Jan 25, 09:07:00 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

H ow
T o
M eet
L adies

indeed!

Fri Jan 26, 01:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home