My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

musical television

I freakin love music videos. Best thing about my degree was getting regularly set homework which involved sitting infront of C4 for hours on end. Sometimes, if I had an essay due, I would even make the effort to traipse out to Sam's (the Manor House, purveyors of Sky TV on the beautiful plasma) and get my arse plonked infront of Juice for a solid 8 hour stint.

Every time I go out to my Dad's, I interupt whatever he's watching (motorsport, cricket or Antiques Roadshow. I guarantee it. Oh wait - unless its rugby or Top Gear. But they're pretty much the same thing, right?). Sky now has a nice little loop set up where you can just start at Channel 30 and only have to press the + or - button to watch music videos continuously. Bless them.

At our flat, this kind of binge happens rarely. Partially because of our crap reception, but also because we Don't Watch TV in our house. The unit is kept under a shroud in the corner of the room. Wedged behind the couch even.

But Sunday evening was an occasion worthy of wheeling out the evil contraption (COUGHstillhungoverCOUGH) and so was time to engage as an active viewer and put those (almost) four years of study to good use.

So, firstly, can I say:

IS GWEN STEFANI COMPLETELY INSANE?!

Because I find it highly likely that she may be. Her new song is rubbish and the video is too. Someone is written mean things about it, with pictures, over at the Guardian. Except I'm so out of touch its probably not even new.

Like, these guys called My Chemical Romance. This was the first time I heard one of their whole songs. Holy moley, they are some angsty wee lads. They were at the Big Day Out and I can only IMAGINE what that was like. It was bad enough watching the whole music video, which was visually uninteresting and looked like it cost about $7.

They had set some shit on fire in the background and did a lot of kicking up dust to cover the rest of requirements for 'special effects'. For outfits, they all just wore mouldy-looking black Sgt Peppers costumes. Oh, and make-up. E to the mo.

I was talking to my mum the other day about seeing cute baby goths in Wangas and she was like "Oh! No, they don't call them goths anymore. There's a new word. Hang on... I know it... waaait." (dramatic pause while my mum racks brain and I sigh) "Emos! that's it!". I was proud of my mum for being so on the cutting edge of modern culture (you should her on the subject of 'bling'... she's a world authority now thanks to her wikipedia-based research).

However, I've heard other people say similar things and I disagree. The people who became goths back in the 90s and the people who've turned into emo kids in recent years are completely different. And also I think that a goth would stomp all over any emo that got in their way. At some eyeliner sale, or whatevs.

Moving right along, they also played the new Nelly Furtado track ("Say It Right"). Again, featuring Timbaland, that cutie. But I kept waiting for the breakdown, and it didn't happen. I think her new music is similar to Justin Timberlake's, in that no doubt it is awesome on the dancefloor, but a little unsatisfying anywhere else.
I do like her fringe tho.

My pick of the day was definitely the new Muse video. I'm not a fan of them, but I do think of these things are cool: birds of prey; cowboys; kung-fu; film references; guns that shoot fire; pashes; hot English guys; neckerchiefs; titles; men that can rock a mo'; holograms; good use of split screen; pantaloons; and, of course, let's not forget ponies.

Muse have done me proud:



Just glorious.

Are there any other good new music videos around that I have missed due to being such a neo-luddite? Please enlighten me, merci beaucoup!!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RUGBY & MOTORSPORT are not the same thing BELL-A-RINA!
Its like saying art-films are the same as TV shows like what-now! I know your saying "calm down will" in your high voice but I wont!!
Anyway now that this if off my chest I can go back to doing my job.
sshees some people aye!!

Tue Jan 30, 06:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'E to the mo'

LOL

I love it.

Wed Jan 31, 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Bel said...

You mean your job isn't defending testosterone-drunk men determined to smash into each other in various televised ways, Will?!
Gosh, my mistake ;)

And thanks 'Anonymous' that I know to be Lou-other-Lou-recently-returned-from-her-Travels :D
You & I really need another Fidle's date m'dear...

Wed Jan 31, 11:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It’s actually more than that Bel. There is an objective to the game you know, 3 acts if you like. I know for some people it’s hard to understand, but it’s no different to you and a whole bunch of screen and media chicks going out in town. You would call it a great night out with the ladies! While others would call it testosterone-drunk men determined to smash into you and your mates in various ways, Bel?!
Just jokes 
I don’t like the word EMO. Reminds me of kid’s shows for some reasons and funny people in tight black jeans which by the way in my opinion will never look cool. Any way till next time your blog offends me! Catch you then.
will

Wed Jan 31, 05:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gwen Stefani just yells now. Like no singing, just yelling and its annoying.

I think its so horribly sad that there's no such thing as 'goth' anymore. They would listen to Marilyn Manson or Slipknot and be really really scary.

I know I've said it before, but if I, of all the people in the world (the person who likes Mandy Moore's early music) can sing along to an 'Emo' song, they must be lame and basically pop.

Bring back the Goths!

I miss them.

Wed Jan 31, 06:48:00 PM  
Blogger ZeldaZ said...

Emo sounds too much like that little towelling figure off 'Sesame Street', or some moog synthesised 70's love song band! When the black vinyl and stretch fabric darlings first made an appearance in my wee provincial neck of the woods I dubbed them Moths - a contraction of Mild gOTHS. And they come out (quite handily) at night for a wee flutter against the bright window pane that is the rest of us!

Thu Feb 01, 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

Um. Hello! Had I not been warning you about Gwen for, like, forever???

And don't even get me started on the new Nelly Furtado... it's so... I dunno. As you said, unfulfilling. But yeah, good to dance to. Exactly like JT, in fact.

If it hadn't been for that awesome Crazy cover that I am now addicted to thanks to your blog (having never really engaged fully with the Gnarls Barkley one) I'd be so O-V-A-H Nelly.

Sat Feb 03, 06:49:00 AM  
Blogger Bel said...

I was never into Gwen at all darl, fret not. I am just gobsmacked at the level she's dropped to.
I think back to my early teens days, when "I'm Just A Girl" came out and she seems so sassy & fun with her cool band and now I wonder what girls of that same age think watching her vids...?!

I think "Emo" is a word just ridiculous enough to sum up the genre/clique perfectly ;)

Sat Feb 03, 02:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home