My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Such a bad song to get stuck in your head

I got the new Amy Winehouse album on the weekend and am loving it. Apparently she's been number one in the UK at the moment, and despite my out-of-touchness, I'm pretty sure she's not that huge over here yet.

But she totally deserves to be. Her voice is incredible and I love what she's done in the genre of music, contrasting with her lyrical content. A track like Me And Mr Jones is such a soulful motown throwback, and yet is full of cusswords and contemporary references. Brilliant.

The one I mean in my headline is Rehab - the opening refrain is "They tried to make me go to rehab,I said no, no, no". That can get you funny looks from your workmates when sung aloud unintentionally, I tell ya.

Tip of the day: you can listen to some Amy Winehouse RIGHT NOW if you go to this page, scroll down to you get to the picture of the cheerleader dressed as sexy santa (ADDED BONUS!!) or do a Ctrl-F search for her surname, but do it twice, so you get to You Know I'm No Good featuring Ghost Face Killah... 'cause its awesome... and that version is not on the album.

FIN.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger mcgeady said...

If your song (I don't mean yours specifically Bel) doesn't have the words "chips and pitta" in it then you have failed as a musician I think...

"This is when my buzzer goes
Run out to meet you, chips and pitta,
You say "when we married,"
Cause you're not bitter,"

Wed Jan 31, 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger ZeldaZ said...

Now I know we like lots of the same things, but this is weird! I saw Amy on a clip on SKY and thought wow, then...I wonder if Bella knows about this singer and has an opinion...hummmm!
So no doubt you HATED "marie antoinette" on which I wasted $15 this weekend. (The gourmet icecream was yummy tho'). Aroha and I snoozed our way through the film...mind you, she had to whisper to me "what happened to her?" which I thought was sweet. Nice to have a good handle on your own whakapapa and no idea of major chick history!
In case anyone wondered how to kill off the Bond franchise - we now know - let Sofia Copola direct!!!
And what the heck was that sound track about???

Wed Jan 31, 11:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had heard about Amy Winehouse and the story of her entering rehab (she turned up dressed to the nines so they sent her home straight away - as she was obviously not in need of rehab if she could look THAT good).

Anyway, the reviews were all going crazy about her. She's rather funky sounding isn't she.

I would think singing the very first part of 'rehab' would get funnier looks around the office - The guy repeats the letter 'a' for about 2 minutes.

Try it.

Thu Feb 01, 01:05:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now will have to go find out what the hooha is about. The only stuff I listen to at the moment is what's on my itunes and whats in my record collection so anyone who knows me will know what that means... Show tunes and copius Carpenters records!
Also only listen to bfm so am quite up to date on wee indie punk bands and alternative hip hop but not much else. Course I only hear that for about half hour each day while i take my beloved boyfriend to work, and pick him up at the end of the day and then cook him dinner. And then do the dishes. Course he's bringing the money in so really being paid to be a domestic goddess isn't all that bad. Oops got of track. Must be that nasty narcissim(?) ;-)

Thu Feb 01, 03:13:00 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

Hullooooo Ms Zelda - am thinking your comments need addressing in a proper post. I usually say "don't get me STARTED on Sofia Coppola!!" but right now, I'm feeling the need to START!

Marama - the narcissism barbs will only be flung around when we start seeing multiple photos of you indulging in these activities, you domestic goddess you. In high heels.
Oh wait. That could be hott.
Send en thru ;)

And, McGeady, MY song -when it comes into existence- will OF COURSE bear reference to chips, probably hot, salted ones.
And shall be in need of a kick-ass drummer...so keep at it!! :P

Fri Feb 02, 01:46:00 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

And there I was just this morning posting on my blog comments about how I'm so not into Amy Winehouse.

But I suppose I am in the UK where I hear her over and over and over and over again. And I never really was into that type of music, was I? She does use eye-liner, but also has eye-shadow with it, and really I only like music by people who have the eye-liner solo. And are male.

Sat Feb 03, 06:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home