My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Monday, November 20, 2006

Its like the WGTN theatre Oscars basically

For those of you interested, the nominations are up for this year's Chapman Tripp's.
You can read all about it over on Theatreview.

Unfortunately I missed Yours Truly which has dominated with a total of nine noms amongst the 20 categories, but one of my favourites from the year is there, Death of a Salesman, which was at Circa. I see Kerry Fox is up for one of the acting awards... hmm I think the locals will be spitting tacks if that happens!
Congrats vicariously to Lou - I see that Golden Boys gets a mention thanks to Erin Banks' Supporting Actress nomination :)

Edit: Please note also that in my hurry to get this up when I got the email notification from the Theatreview website, I neglected to notice that Miss Steph's production of Wheel has also been nominated! Its up for the Peter Harcourt Award for Outstanding New Playwright :D ...at this rate I'm going to have to go along to the shindig myself and do all sorts of repping!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Lou said...

Wot? Hey? AWESOME!!!!

Tue Nov 21, 03:11:00 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

PS thanks for telling me Bel as NOBODY ELSE DID! You know, like someone from the production or something...

Tue Nov 21, 03:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*ahem* I'd like to point out the wonderful produciton of "wheel" from this year's Fringe Festival - a show done with a budget of $500 and a nomination for best new playwright...

Tue Nov 21, 03:49:00 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

Me again - (that was Steph above, by the way) - I meant to comment on Yours Truly but got too distracted by my own show's nomination (and Steph's, of course).

I saw a stripped down Yours Truly that was put on by David L and co as part of Hone's initiative to give plays a trial phase between readings and premieres - ie stripped down productions to act out the piece and get some viewer feedback.

I think it would have been a wonderful play to see on stage with full costuming and art direction. But - big but - I didn't see the point of it being made. I didn't really see the point of doing another piece about Jack the Ripper. But by the sounds of it this production would have shown me the reason - I can only guess that it was an excellent production with excellent acting, direction, and art direction. So if a NZ writer is able to provide a solid piece of writing to provide the means for theatre professionals to showcase their best efforts, then I guess I shouldn't question the story the writer chooses to tell...

Tue Nov 21, 05:36:00 AM  
Blogger Bel said...

Oh sorry Miss Anony! Wheel slipped me by! Congrats to you too, Steph!! :D golly what a bunch of superstars aye?!

Yours Truly got FANTASTIC reviews if i recall - they're probably still up on that same website the Chapman Tripp thing I linked to is on. And Zoe Fox, who did the costume design, other than having the best name I've ever heard, is actually really 'getting a good name' as they say.

Tue Nov 21, 07:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home