My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Tell me bout it, baby.

From Popbitch:
>> Who's afraid of the big bad Wolf? <<
Celebrity offspring puts teacher in place

Wolf Gillespie is the son of Primal Scream's
Bobbie and fashion stylist Katy England. He
goes to nursery school in Islington, where he
is a classmate of Fran Cutler's daughter
Mercy Magic.

Recently one of the teachers scolded little
Wolf for a misdemeanour. Did Gillespie Jnr
cry or throw a tantrum? Of course not.
He just shrugged and walked off, saying
"It's only rock and roll."

Wolf is four years old.

FYI: Wolf arrived for the school show and tell
day with McQueen couture samples to cut up...
rather than the usual old sheets and blankets.)


Sure, having a name like "Wolf" gives you a head start, but that is still pretty freakin awesome. In contrast, I'll show you exactly how cool I was at age four...

Yeah, that's me in the middle.I guess wearing sneakers with a party dress is more hip-hop than rock n roll huh? See, even back then I was repping it.

Popbitch always comes through with the goods. I'm not much of a Primal Scream fan, to say the least, and have no idea who Fran Cutler is, but the name Katy England rung a bell - and when you hear 'McQueen' and 'couture' in the same sentence, you know there's only one person they're talking about.

Katy England is a stylist in the true sense of the word - not in a Rachel Zoe, dress all your starlets in the same outfits, trigger dramatic weight loss, tanorexic kind of way. There's a great article here where Katy talks about her long working relationship with Alexander McQueen, including the rocky years at Givenchy.

I found this quote very encouraging, considering recent events like this which Lou covered in her blog, "I try to avoid the current big-name models, not because I don't like them, but because I think our interpretation of beauty should be broader than that."

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Lou said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tue Nov 21, 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

Awesome.

Tue Nov 21, 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

(yes I mysteriously accidentally removed a post - was trying to edit it and that led to a deletion so I just pared it all down to one word as I couldn't be bothered rewriting)

Tue Nov 21, 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

That's SO rock n roll.

:P

Wed Nov 22, 07:16:00 AM  
Blogger Bel said...

Yes indeedy - that's Jane Goodge on the left, with big sis on the other side of me - she's now working for the Metropolitan Police in London, with short spikey purple hair and a facial piercing last I saw. Haven't heard from her in a while tho, boohoo!

...Bel now scurries off to scan in infamous photo of Ed sitting in cardboard box on back lawn, also circa 1986...

Wed Nov 22, 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

You look like a 4 year old Lily Allen.

That is pretty damn cool in my books, even if she did get it on with Mike Skinner, AKA 'The Streets'

Wed Nov 22, 01:54:00 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

Ummmmm - I freakin LOVE Lily Allen at the mo - the laptop I've been babysitting has her album on and its amazingly good!

And i have been a fan of The Streets for years :D I got a text from Joe saying he was coming to the BDO one day after I'd bought my WOMAD tickets - dang it!

...

Ok well now I just found out SHE is comnig to the Big Day Out too!!
DOUBLE DANG IT!
Maybe i'll have to splash out & go to every fricken music fest this summer after all :D

Wed Nov 22, 02:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home