My Photo
Name:
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Thursday, December 21, 2006

gammy

I have hurt my foot.

Quite badly.

I can't move around much. Cam & I were sitting at the dining table and my cellphone tweet-tweeted over on the windowseat - I looked at him dolefully and so that dear sweetheart went and fetched it for me.

It is very weird to be this incapacitated. Melissa said "I don't think I've ever seen you limping before!". And we've known each other since we were seven.

But she's probably right - I haven't ever broken a bone, needed an operation, never even had a filling! I've been blessed with good health in general.

But right now I'm hobbling round the place like a blimmin cripple and yelping with pain whenever I put weight on it.

POOR ME!!

It started hurting yesterday and I just thought it was because I was wearing high heels. So i spent most of the Bats party in bare feet, which no one blinked an eye at, you know - arty farty types n all.

But by the time I woke up this morning, after a miserable sleep, my heel had swollen hugely and it just hurt so much. I was freaking out I'd wrenched the tendon or something and so went on the missions with my guardian angel, Melissa.

Turns out its an infection and a week of drugs will fix it, thankfully. In the meantime I'm being forced to shuffle around in slow motion, feeling like a right twit.

Slippers are the hot look right now, as I can't get anything else on my beast of a foot!

The other thing is I know that this isn't just a physical thing - or rather, that the physical is tied up with the emotional. I have had a rollercoaster week, including a situation that was intensely emotionally traumatic.

I wasn't going to take a day off work to deal with how my heart was hurting and everything bouncing round in my head. Twenty-four hours later, my body saw fit to cave in on itself.

Some people don't hold much sway with this train of thought, but the older I've older gotten, the more closely woven I've seen the body with other experiences.

I'm not sure whether I'd label myself "holistic" and I'm still very much a stickler for mainstream medicine, but cause and effect should be looked at in a wider scope.

And in terms of healing, these things have made me feel better this afternoon:
  • Nurofen Plus
  • getting stuck into a new novel, lent to me by Ebony
  • coming home from A&E to find Simon had left in my bedroom the next Ex Machina
  • Nurofen Plus
  • Fluxjhflchlcjjfdgcillon something - 'cept its like "four times a day, on a empty stomach", which is sooo confusing, I mean, who has that kind of routine?!
  • oh what the hey, surely its time for another couple Nurofen Plus!!
  • dozing in the sun on the windowseat
  • knowing that the ACC form which i filled out saying "Scene of Accident: The Pit Bar, Bats. Cause of Accident: Wearing high heels?!" became redundant after the diagnosis
  • Cheese Big Uns
  • Pineapple Mango Crush JustJuice
  • fresh Arobake bread
  • knowledge that I have both friends and family willing to come to my rescue when I call up first thing in the morning saying, "My foot hurts, real bad."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least its just your foot and you can't walk...

Imagine if it was a bad hand and you couldn't type or text...

Or you had a toothache so you couldn't talk at all...

The world would be too quiet without you, especially when you're all gammy with pain.

And I am especially glad you have a servant. Make the most of it!



p.s. America's Next Top Model season finale tonight 7:30 TV3.


Have a Merry Christmas (hope your foot is better by then) and I'll see you shortly (when I'm a year older - eek!).

Fri Dec 22, 12:56:00 AM  
Blogger tpants & cballs! said...

oh, annabel!

i do hope it heals up soon.

and i second everything trelly just said!

also the antibiotic is probably flucloxacillin. i took bucketloads last year for that skin thing. i should know, ay? ay?


take it very easy, dude. and read more comics and watch more youtube. you know both these things make you more awesome.

hope your xmas present gets to you in time!! very exciting!

xo tanya

Fri Dec 22, 05:01:00 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

Oh golly, thanks guys - you're wonderful. And thanks to those who've texted/emailled etc warm fuzzies.
And thanks to Rohan who met me for lunch today and still valiantly sauntered thru the CBD with me, despite my fugly combo of one stylish brown leather boot and one black fluffy slipper and copious amounts of shoddily-tied bandaging.

No ANTM for me tonight - I shall be traversing up home with my big lil bro. Can't fricken wait... And hopefully will be able to give a certain parcel a good squeezing once I get there!

"Wanganui! Putting the NUI back into WANGAN!" catchy, yes? I'm trying to spread it round...

I'm on holiday now! hurrah! :D

Fri Dec 22, 06:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*cough* Bats is actually BATS. Sheesh.

Wed Jan 03, 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

That was me - I was just so embarrassed at my anal inability to let it pass that I made it anonymous but actually don't want to be leaving anon messages on your blog so am admitting it was I.

Wed Jan 03, 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

Oh dear sweet Lou... you know I wouldn't hold over-zealous attention to detail finnicky branding against you!!

Tho I am a little amazed that it distracted you from raking me over the coals for unintentionally typing about 'squeezing a package' in what was OF COURSE an innocent Christmas context...
Marketing outshines innuendo - a turning point surely?!

Sun Jan 07, 11:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home